Offering some great advice on one of most unique places on Earth!
5 Things To Know Before Going To Burning Man
- Burning Man is an event AND a culture
- One of the biggest misconceptions people have about Burning Man is that it is a music festival. Now, that may be true to some extent with the daily concerts and big name artists attending the venue, but the ultimate purpose of Burning Man is defined in a set of rules that illustrate their culture.
- Follow the rules
- This is also a hard concept to grasp because many people believe the week-long event is about having no rules, again; this is true to some extent. Burning Man has a list of its “10 Principles” which outline simple “rules” that guide how the culture is formed. This list includes radical self-expression as well as radical self-reliance; two principles that if not shown during the week, will go noticed by fellow Burners!
- Black Rock City Only Exists for 1 Week a Year
- The last week of August when the event is held is the only week of the year that the Black Rock Desert Playa becomes a designated home for 75,000+ people (growing every year). Located in Nevada, the Black Rock Desert Playa has been home to Black Rock City for over 20+ years now and continues to be a testimony of human achievement.
- Camps Dictate Activity
- Due to the nature of the 10 Principles of Burning Man, radical self-reliance is a key principle and living in the desert for a week can be a very challenging experience. Many Burners choose to participate and be a part of a camp that pool together resources to achieve this common goal. Camps throw daily events and activities for fellow members as well as outsiders who may or may not be a part of a camp. Look for activities in the official book or download the iBurn App.
- Become Open-Minded
- If you can’t see yourself getting along with different lifestyles than your own, don’t attend. Black Rock City is a melting-pot of vastly different backgrounds, energies, lifestyles and it all seemingly works out because if the open-mindedness that attendees seem to share. You will get dusty. You will get de-hydrated. Your values will be challenged. Your outlooks will change. Your body might change or the way you look at it. All of these changes, if properly introduced, can provide you with enormous amounts of happiness, but only if you let it. Take a chance, let someone in…You might just make a life-long relationship with you fellow Burner.